Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Chores

My husband has worked outside in the cold all day. After eating supper he usually goes outside to do our few chores. Tonight I told him to keep his feet up in the recliner and enjoy the warmth of his snugly blanket, I'll go outside and do the chores. First I took the scraps from the house out to the chicken coop. I save all the fruit peels and outside lettuce leaves as a treat for the hens. I enjoy going to the coop. I talk to the girls and they are always happy to see me. They cackle and I giggle. We are friends. I see 2 brown eggs in the nest. I thank them giving them each a feather rub and say good night. After taking the eggs inside,wash dry, then put them in the carton in the frig I go back out. This time I get a scoop of dog food and head out toward the fenced pen. Chippy is waiting wiggling her hind end. She is happy to see me too. She goes right in to her bed of straw, turns around and puts her paw up to shake goodnight. As I close her gate and put an extra cement block in front of it I can see Chippy's eyes smiling at me. I know she is already thinking of how she will get out of that pen. She is Chippy Houdini! Great dog escape artist. Next its over to the wood stove, I open the door and instantly feel the red coals burning. I throw in about 8 split logs then turn around to look at the stack that is left standing. I think to myself that it may last until the end of the month, then we will be stacking more. Last its back to the garage with Brownie at my heels. She has already followed me every step in this night feeding. What a good friend she is to walk under the night stars. I close the garage door and give her a small scoop of dog food and a dog biscuit. She is the keeper of the property. All day she guards the house from squirrels and at night she will bark if she hears a car. Going back into the house I smile at my sleeping husband. Glad he slept...glad I did the chores.

1 comment:

  1. I can sense your encouragement from the little things accomplished. Brownie is my favorite - keeper of the property. You captured a routine activity into a sarm bit of sunshine.

    ReplyDelete