Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Sign

Going to my grandparents house one would get a treat entering the bathroom. As you would sit on the toilet and look forward you could read many signs. Some were funny, some were serious. To me they were fun to read. When I asked grandma about them she said, "Oh your grandpa picked those up different places we vacationed". That is when the house was a cottage. Once it was a home they still were on the wall. When grandpa passed away I never saw those signs again. They were replaced by flower pictures and a mirror. When I went up north to my parents outhouse it had bath pictures in it, and some funny signs the grand kids had given them as gifts. They made me smile as I remembered my childhood readings. Fun as you are sitting. That summer grandma passed away and there was an auction. I bought many treasures that I may write about at different times, but when I saw a box of junk held up above the auctioneers head I caught a glimpse of something familiar. There was a bathroom sign. I don't know what happened to all the others, but there was one... and I bought it. On a piece of pine it read, Early to bed early to rise fish like hell and make up lies. I can remember reading that one and giggling as we were never allowed to say the "H" word out loud at home. But there it was on my grandparents wall. Now it will hang in my outhouse waiting for me to find more signs to join it. All funny ones for people to read as they are sitting! I hope visitors enjoy the walls of my outhouse.

1 comment:

  1. What a fun topic to write about. I love the memory that iw weaves throughout as a little girl and now as an adult. I wonder what treat your grand kids will find in the future at your outhouse and cottage.:)

    ReplyDelete