Sunday, September 16, 2012

Wedding

I went to an Amish wedding this week. I was my first experience at one so I want to to write my thoughts down about it. It was on a Thursday, I guess that is wedding day. My husband could not go as he was shoveling out a grain bin getting ready for harvest. So I went alone as I didn't want to miss it. When I pulled up to the house I first noticticed  that I was one of 3 cars. They had a sign just for us to park. Then in the field beside the house was hundreds of buggys. I walked past maybe 50 children playing volleyball and basketball. They all turned to look at me I smiled back. I tried to talk with a few in passing but they had no interest in me, just what they were playing. Walking up the stone drivway I took a deep breath then asked the first man that looked at me and he told me to put my gift in the tent. The tent was filled with presents. It thought , this is going to take Emma all day to go through these presents and write thank you notes. Going up the hill I stood beside a young mother with 2 children. She told me how she knew the couple and asked how I did. She then told me where to go inside. I was so glad she talked with me as I was feeing like an outsider. Exactly at 5:30 everyone went into the garage that had been conected to the barn for more seating. The men all sat by each other on one side of the room. They had about 15 of us english friends in the middle with young girls filling the end of the table. On the other side was the women. All children were at tables in the front and back. Boys at a table and girls at another. Then a man started to chant, we all bowed and prayed for 5 min. The food started passing. All on china plates, real silverware and glasses. Potaoes,stuffing, noodles, gravey, corn, beans, two kinds of chicken. Once plates were empty all the bowls were passed again for seconds. Next came a platter of fresh fruit, 7-layer salad, veggies and cheese. Finally a bucket of ice cream, oreo dessert, butterscotch, cheery and pecan  pie and cake. last was a comb with the bride and grooms name on it and a full size candybar for everyone to take home.  The man chanted agin everyone bowed for 5 minutes and everyone got up to leave. I asked when leaving if we got to see the bride and groom and they said they were talking with the bishop. So the only one I knew was the parents whick I told thank- you for inviting me. I left at 6:30 and more buggys were driving in as they would have another meal at 7:00. They feed 500 people at 9:00. The wedding was at 12:00 (for 3 hours) then they feed 500 people at 5:30 and 7. I was so impressed. She had over 60 people helping with everything and she bought each one a gift. Plus she sewed all the wedding outfits for the men and woemen in the wedding. It was something to see. I feel blessed to have been invited and even though I felt uncomfortable because I didn't know exactly what to do I could feel the love and joy these people had for this young couple starting their life together. Family is important to them. Over 1500 people went to this all day event. WOW        

1 comment:

  1. What an experience. Glad you shared the details. Next time, you need to call me. If it's possible, I will come with you. I know how this could be for you since you never want anyone to feel left out. You are a very good friend to the bride. I never thought the Amish were so into entertaining and hosting. Consider yourself a special guest since there were only 3 cars!!! I am fascinated by their culture, ignoring the technology around them.

    ReplyDelete