Monday, September 3, 2012

Underwater Rain

Last night before I went to sleep at the cottage I decided to walk down to the dock. The air was a bit crisp but it was refreshing after the hot day. The moon was casting a glow on the water that made it seem to sparkle on its reflection. As I walked over the dock I heard rain drops. I looked up at the sky puzzled as I felt not rain on my arms or face. With more curiosity I knelt down to look at the water and yes there was splash marks of raindrops and the sound that went with rain. Odd. I went back up to the cottage to get a flashlight to investigate more. Once back on the dock...  again it was raining in sound only. I turned on my flashlight to discover more minnows than I could count jumping up out of the water chasing one another playing tag. When looking out over the lake as a body of water not only were they jumping around my dock but all over the entire lake they were jumping. I quickly went to get my husband to hear the underwater rain of the minnows. Something I may never see again. Wow! I need to walk down to the lake more often at night.

2 comments:

  1. "Wow" is right--Quite the story--suspenseful and reflective. I like the phrase "underwater rain of minnows"--never heard that before!! Aren't you glad your husband found that spot amongst the briars and bushes? You are so lucky to live on a lake. Bring printouts of your posts from your blog to share at our next BONS. This is what you enjoy writing anyway. Write on, Friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to mention: I do have some dill seeds for you. I never thought of putting them in a flower arrangement. I will do that next year! The last of the dill have displayed their seeds. I also have 4 o'clock seeds, too, for you. I will post about them next. I've become obsessive about 4 o'clocks this summer. Well, once Baby Pickle, keep writing. Your grandma was special, too.

    ReplyDelete