Friday, July 22, 2011

College

When my daughters were born we started each of them a bank account. This account was always to be used for college. It would grow with birthday money, allowances earned around the house and items returned that they would not use turned into cash. As they grew they got their own jobs and each pay check some money would go into the college savings account. We talked about what they wanted to become when they grew up, what things interested them. Never was there any talk about not going.
This year I taught first grade and of course I stressed college. What did they want to be when they went to college. I told them how much fun they were going to have when they went. That they were each so smart and needed to get good jobs for their families someday. I also said what my father told me and I told my girls... "You were put on earth for a reason, don't just suck in air. Do something with your life, do something great!" Of course they listen with big wide eyes as I tell them that. Then two of my daughters came in to visit, one finished with college and one still enrolled. One little guy came up to them and said, "Your mom said I'm smart and I'm going to college. I'll be the first one in my family to go and I'm going." My daughter said, "Oh if it's up to my mom she will make sure all of you go."
Well with that I called our local college and said I had a special request. The request being I'd like to bring my first graders for a visit of the campus. They said they had never had a group come that young but they would love to have us. They arrived on campus with their grandparents, parents, siblings and friends. We went on a tour that lasted 3 hours then I bought lunch for everyone. When we visited the dorm and the girl was telling them about the rooms, one little guy turned to his grandma and said with excitement, " It's just a hotel for kids!" the grandma said , "Oh I think I will have to come with you." His face full of excitement replied, " No grandma it's just for kids only."
Another boy said in the dining hall after his 5th tall self made ice cream cone. "Mrs. Shultz,your daughter GETS to eat here EVERYDAY!" After running around on the indoor track and walking barefoot on the turf football field, some sparked and interest in sports. A parent said she enjoyed this trip just as much as the zoo. Needless to say everyone wants to go to college now... the seed has been planted. They all were given a free t-shirt to remember the day. Hopefully they will not just suck in air and they will do great things with their lives!

2 comments:

  1. Tammy, I hardly know how to begin telling you how much I love this--even though I've heard it already. You are doing something really amazing for these kids. And the way your dad put it--don't just suck in air, do something with your life, so something great. Wow.
    Now, imagine that I had found just the right words to express how wonderful this is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing about this trip over and over. You did a wonderful, special deed for your kids. They will remember this and someday will honor you for it. What a special teacher you are!

    ReplyDelete