Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Voice

On Easter we are to think of Christ - He is risen. A friend sent me a text early in the morning that day before the birds started their chatter reminding me of just that. It was Easter, one of my favorite days to go to church, to sing the hymns. I love the energy that day, the spring dresses and Alleluias! Singing in the pews as loud as you can, together as a choir. I think our pew of girls sounds absolutely beautiful. I  have a harmonizing voice next to theirs. Generations of families singing side by side what glorious music.
After thinking about those beautiful songs I decided to sing my favorite. Jesus Christ Has Risen Today Alleluia! I went and dug out Great Aunt Emma's Lutheran Hymnal and there it was on page 199. In my old farm clothes I took that hymnal out by the chicken yard, stood tall on a rotting tree stump. Singing every verse as loud as I could, my voice was not as sweet and smooth as in church with others voices engulfing mine. It was pitchy and crackly. The chickens stood silent as did the dogs,  listening- giving me their attention. I think the Lord liked my singing. So did the 2 men fishing in the pond across from my house as they gave me a wave. We have a voice and should sing out more often even if we aren't on key. Sing we to our God above, Praise him...Alleluia... 

1 comment:

  1. Tammy! What a beautiful scene...and the way you crafted it makes my heart warm. I love that you belted out your favorite hymn. I love that I get to know your favorite hymn. (Mine is "Amazing Grace.") I love the way your faith is so very, very real. You are an inspiration.
    Love,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete