Sunday, March 3, 2013

Dresses

So I have 4 daughters. You can just imagine all the dresses in our house. Each girl had to have dresses ( I'm just talking about long formal ones) for each special occasion. Weddings, Dances, Proms and Pageants we have them for all. Some have been shared and worn again by another sister. However some sisters are taller than others, plus others do not wear the same sizes. Then there was the line..".I just have to have this one mom". I would give in and buy it. Who can resist when their daughter looks like a beautiful angel standing before them.
Then I hear this--I don't like the one my sister wore.
It's not in style anymore.
I would never wear that.
(How are they not in style- they are long and pretty.) Well anyway the last daughter is going to her senior prom this year. And yes she wants a new one! But then I will be done with the dresses. Until she decides to do another pageant in college. Now I am trying to find a resale shop to sell  some of them. The girls have decided to keep a few, and shortened a few so they can re-wear them. However I am looking forward to having another closet empty...for real clothes.
**Have you seen the movie 27 Dresses, that is how our closet looks. I think we have more. I am not going to count them as I will not believe all the money I have spent over the years. Then again I would not trade a moment and  the memories of them smiling, feeling confident in those beautiful dresses.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I don't even know what to say--that is a lot of dresses! With 2 boys and just one girl here, I don't have that. Of course, we're just getting to the age where I'm sure our 1 will start to collect those fancy dresses...but still not anywhere near as many as at your house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, dresses. I watch award shows just for the dresses! You should have shown me that closet. I have only bought a few girly girl dresses for my granddaughter. I've never been into dresses for myself--overweight syndrome. I'm a pretty tailored girl, too. And what "real" clothes will take their place? This is a wonderful post as all your posts are. Your persona shines through!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite line - How are they not in style? They are long and pretty. I chuckled. MHG

    ReplyDelete
  4. This tiny detail speaks volumes about your life. I like that you captured it. There's a teacher at our high school who collects prom dresses in a variety of sizes and styles and then loans them to girls. She encourages EVERYONE to go to prom and insists it doesn't have to be expensive...it can just be fun. Then she offers to loan them a dress. Maybe you know someone like this that you can give your dresses to. This way ou know they will continue to bring smiles and good times.

    ReplyDelete