Saturday, March 23, 2013

Leaves

Today was beautiful outside. The sun was shining with happiness. It felt good, the warmth on my face that made me smile. I went to the barn to find the rake. I hate to rake. As kids my parents made us rake the front yard every year. Because that is the yard people saw when they drove by our house. Every year all five of us were out there all day until it was done. If dad was there, you were not going to get out of it-ever. When asked why we did this his answer was , it made the grass look good. So we all raked out the old grass that had died over the winter.
When I got a house of my own I vowed I would never rake just the grass. I don't. However I have the  leaves of many oak trees. I watch them blow around all fall and winter. I secretly hope they will all blow into the woods. Of course many do, but not all of them. So today I started raking in my flower beds and around the house.(not the grass) I do like the smoky smell of burning leaves. So it was a beautiful  day which I enjoyed raking leaves.      

3 comments:

  1. I like how you intermingled a memory with the daily chore. It's interesting how memories appear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I did read the "forgot" slice and loved it! Sort of sums up our lives, right?
    As for this one, it called to mind my own love/hate relationship with leaves and raking. We lived in the woods and never could figure out why our parents insisted we rake--rake the woods?! Who does that?? Us, that's who.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is something about raking, although it's not a favorite task of mine. Your flower beds are thankful.

    ReplyDelete