Saturday, March 2, 2013

Light

You would think on a Saturday I would sleep in. But ,Oh No! The older I get the harder it is to sleep in. I am programmed to wake up at 6:30. So today is no different. I wake up roll around trying not to wake my husband. Then I decide to just get up. I think my husband is glad, as now there is no snoring for him to listen to. It is still dark out and no one is stirring. This morning I decide I am not going to use electricity( maybe my bill will go down a little). So I light the old oil lamp and place it next to my computer. Here is a lamp that is over 100 years old beside a computer with today's technology. As I sit working on my lesson plans for next week. I smell the kerosene, feeling the warmth of the glowing light given to me by the lamp. It makes me feel as if I am in a log cabin in  the old days with the pioneers. How many times  has this lamp been filled with oil? How many times has it has been lit by a match over the years? How many eyes have used it to light the way for them? Finished... I take a break and call my mother who I know wakes early. Yep, she is up in 18 inches of snow at her cabin in Michigan. She has been up since 4:30 stitching on hats she is making. She is making 20 today she tells me. She thinks mornings are the best. She is using a gas lamp, as I tell her about my oil lamp. She understands as she likes to use them too. She says yes we do not sleep in anymore but we take naps later in the day. She is right. I blow the lamp out as daylight sprinkles in the room. Light...Let there be light. My day continues!         

4 comments:

  1. Oh Tammy! This is wonderful. Love the image of kerosene lamp by the computer and I can almost hear you and your mother talking about your light. I love that you write, and that I get to read your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why don't I live closer to my soul friends? I would have gotten up with you to write/read by that lamp. I know what a kerosene lamp smells like and looks like. It would conjure up all kinds of thoughts! Thanks for the light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oil lamps - made me remember my time in the Dominican Republic. Lights would go out and I would write by the light (and do lesson plans :)). Love naps. Enjoy. MHG

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Light...let there be light." This line rings true. I think it is because there is light in you.

    ReplyDelete