Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Ferocious

Getting home late I turned in for bed even later.  So... it was around midnight. Then I was awake listening to barking for an hour. Finally I got up and put my coat on to venture outside to see what all that barking was about. I woke up Rex in his chair snoring. "Where are you going?" he said."To see what Woodchuck is barking at. He's barked so long he's horse in the throat." I said.  Out I went with the flashlight. Going around the corner I could see two shadows gnarling, barking, and snarling at one another. they looked the same size. They didn't take their eyes off one another as they lunged pulling out hairballs of fur. I really couldn't tell what it was, maybe a large raccoon. I rushed into the house, adrenaline pumping. Squawking at my husband I said, "You better get the gun and come quick, there is a ferocious animal out there attacking Woody." Outside again in a hurry, I could see with the light it was a big possum. Rex came out with the gun looking at the ferocious animal. "That's it he said?" "Yes, it is bigger than Woody and look how mean it is." He didn't waste time shooting it, with Woodchuck grabbing it as if he had killed it. Needless to say I went back to bed and finally could sleep soundly with not a peep outside.      

3 comments:

  1. That is so scary. Poor Woodchuck. I'm glad he wasn't really hurt. Raccoons can be deadly. I don't know if I could have gone back to sleep after that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your husband could make the shot. I like the line "He didn't wast time shooting it." You were brave going out to see what was going on. Not me. I would have sent my husband out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! I'm glad you checked--and that you went to get Rex. Sounds like a two-person job to me!

    ReplyDelete