Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Allowed

I am not allowed to drive any of our equipment (except the car/Yukon)If you heard my history with equipment you would understand why. My father and my husband never let me drive anything. I may ride on the back or walk alongside. I have been given many chances but something always happens (not good) and I get banned. I'm OK with it, as I have learned my place. But...every once in awhile it can't be helped as I am the only one along and I have to drive something. I can see my husband look down at the ground then look up at me as he says, "I guess you will have to drive." Tonight was one of those nights. I get all excited when he says that. I smile as I set in the drivers seat. Then I can't remember where the gas is or the brake. I push the wrong levers and buttons. Finally I sort of get it going very slowly. He is cutting down an old gnarly mulberry tree next to a fence line. He hooks up the chain, then starts the chain saw up. I am to pull on the limb when it starts to fall and drag it into the field. I go backwards by mistake, then I get it going the right way. I pull and pull and yank it down. Victory! My husband does this five more times. I tell him I'm pretty good at this when we are in a wide open field. Seriously what could go wrong out here? Thank goodness nothing did tonight. Maybe soon I will be allowed to drive something again.

3 comments:

  1. Shew! I'm glad it was success. The way you wrote this pulsed with tension. I had my fingers crossed for you. I love "I tell him I'm pretty good at this when we are in a wide open field."

    PS -- I get to sit in the same room as you tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, stay away from anything mechanical, technological, or with too many written directions. Glad your night was successful. At least you're still willing to try again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remind me to tell you about my first ever time on a riding lawnmower. :) I also used to get to drive the tractor or truck sometimes, but am not sure I could do it now. I'd need that wide open field too!

    ReplyDelete