Thursday, March 22, 2012

Books

Tonight we went to our Amish friends for a load of wood. We chatted about our day as they finished their supper. They were having meatballs, potatoes with asparagus gravy and bread. It looked yummy but we had already eaten. So we enjoyed sitting with them. The parents chat but the kids usually do not say much unless we ask them something. But wherever we move the 6 kids all follow as they do not want to miss a thing we are saying. After we loaded the wood on our trailer with the skid loader. I told them I had something for them but only if their parents approved. I then pulled out eight boxes of books. They were all sets of the same title. I had collected them over the years. However the last ten years they have been boxed up as I was teaching writing and did not have a classroom. Now that I am back in a classroom I do not need them as we have a book room with lots of books. I could have given them to my school but, no my school closed down a school this year and I saw all the things they disposed of. I was going to keep them for my daughter, but she teaches blind students so they can't read them. Then my youngest said she wants to be a nurse. So I decided to give them to our Amish friends school. They were so excited. It was like Christmas all over. Those kids could not wait to go to school and read those books. One girl said she has read every book in the classroom. Their parents took them all but about ten books. So I did a good thing that warmed my heart. My books have a new home and I have been invited to the Amish school next week to visit the classroom. I think I will go!

2 comments:

  1. This is the coolest thing, and I hope you go to visit the school and the kids there. You do so many good things and are one of the most giving people I know. I can see in your face how it makes you feel to do things like this for others. I've been on the receiving end (several times) and I can feel your complete joy in doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do like to help/please people. It would be fun to visit an Amish school. I think you found the ideal place for those books. Curious as to the ones they didn't take.

    ReplyDelete