Saturday, March 24, 2012

First Runner Up

Today I got up at four this morning to drive my daughter a little over two hours away for a Miss Teen Indiana pageant. She has already been in 3 others this year, each time getting first runner up. To her that is not good enough. She wants to win, she wants the crown on her head. We tell her she already has two other crowns this year, 4-H and Corn School. But that is not this one and she can see it and wants to feel it on her head. Other times she has been OK after, she just says I will try again. So we do, However this time I could see the hurt in her eyes. I really thought it was hers too. I guess we just don't know what the judges want. That is true because they never let you see the papers on how you were graded so we are just guessing how to improve. We keep asking how can I do something different but the answer is the same. Oh, you are doing just fine. Well to my daughter that doesn't help her a bit. So tonight she had a few tears, next week end is the last one for this year plus next year she will have to compete with the girls who are 22 years old. We have a hotel room booked in Shipsie for next week end (I could cancel) but she has already said can she try just one more time. I'm not sure. I'll have to think on it. What to do? She is one determined child. And I am one tired mother right now. I am also a very proud mother of my daughter who can interview with 5 judges staring at her, sing in front of an auditorium of people, jump around in active wear and answer a question on the spot. I would be breaking out in hives. I think she takes after her dad!

2 comments:

  1. I can sense your pride in her and feel the pain that seeing her come so close again but not win brings. I hope that she is able to find a way to feel this is still a success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughter does have a lot of gumption. Oh, I think she gets a lot from you, too. Good luck to her. I know you will take her. Will this be her last?

    ReplyDelete