Monday, March 19, 2012

Eggs

Well spring is here. I look in my chicken coop at my girls + rooster. When I get home I go to the coop and open the gate to let the girls out. They all come running on their two feet, wings out running as fast as they can. Out they go right out into the woods. Scratching and pecking they cluck that sound that I know as pure joy. I think they wait for me all day. Just like you know the different sounds of your children. If they are hurt, excited , sad or happy. I know the sounds of my chickens voices. If they are bored in the winter. When they are sick and when spring is here their happy elated clucking. They look at me with smiles on their beaks strutting around in the woods happy to be looking for worms and bugs. Then I go into the coop and look in each of the nests. Then I smile and I'm almost clucking as out of 11 hens I have been given 9 eggs from the girls. Some are still warm to the touch. I always tell the girls thank-you for the eggs and I'll see them tomorrow. I absolutely love my feathered friends. I know I make them just as happy as they make me. I look forward each night to see how many treasures I find in those nests. I have had chickens since I was little. It was always my job at home. I think I will always have chickens. They are some of my best friends!

3 comments:

  1. You have a knack for taking me back to my own childhood. I too had the job of feeding chickens and collecting eggs. Ours were not let out to run to the woods, but the hen house was at the edge of a cow pasture.
    Your recent slices have made me miss my country-girl upbringing and have me wondering if I could hack it now. I'm not so sure all those skills and all that knowledge would come back so easily, but I sure love hearing your stories about country life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envy you having more girls!!! I know dogs can smile, but I didn't know chickens could. What a joy to think of eggs as treasures. I can hear you almost clucking, too. You are so full of joy. If I were to be born in another time, I would have chosen simpler times in the countryside like Jane Austen, etc. This world has always been too fast for me. Enjoy your fishing and girls tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you do with all of the eggs? I've never been in a chicken coop with chickens. I've never had a fresh egg. I think maybe these are some of the reasons I like it when you write about chickens. I gain insight into them and I understand you more.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete